Monday, March 21, 2011

Calf update

I went to see my PCP today to discuss my calf problems.  At first, I was a bit upset because her immediate reaction was that if it hurt my calves this much while running, I needed to stop running.  Since the rest of my body responds very well to running (e.g. breathing, weight loss, HAPPINESS), though, we're going to try to figure out what's going on.

She immediately ruled out vascular issues, since my internal numbers are ridiculously good.  We're going to see if it's a foot problem first, since I definitely have no arches and I'm sure I walk and run incorrectly or something.  So I'm seeing a podiatrist next month (or sooner, if there's a cancellation), and if things don't work there, I'll then see an orthopedist and do physical therapy.

Cool.  I always figured that PT was for that abstract group of athletes/people who are athletic, so even though I wish I could run without pain already, I kind of like that I might belong to this abstract group.  I mean, really, I've always been extremely geeky!  So it's fun to think maybe I could also be jocky.

Meanwhile, I'm not supposed to run on the treadmill, but eh, I probably will.  Because that's who I am: CONTRARY.

(By the way, I love my doctor.  She considers me extremely healthy without questioning my weight.  We need more doctors like her, who don't just assume that fat folks need to lose weight to solve any health problem.)

No comments:

Post a Comment