Saturday, July 30, 2011

Good mood fading a bit

Thursday and Friday both went so well.  Saturday is definitely a let-down.

Last night, I decided that my pain wasn't bad enough for oxycodone while I slept, especially since I don't like sleeping while I'm taking it.  So I just took some Tylenol, and some hydroxyzine.  I should have adjusted my pillows better as well.  I'd been making do with three pillows (one throw pillow, one standard IKEA pillow, and one giant king-sized pillow), but I had set them up badly before calling it a night.

I woke up in a lot of pain around 4:45 in the morning.  My pillow arrangement had left my knees extremely hyperextended, and my feet and calves weren't elevated enough, leaving my ankles and feet very swollen and in a lot of pain.  I took one oxycodone (difficult, since I was out of it and my vision was crap), readjusted my pillows, and went back to sleep.  I woke up again at 8:20, not feeling much better.  I added another large pillow to the pile to fix that problem, and then went to get ice for my legs.  I should have iced my legs more on Friday, so I'm making up for it by icing them as constantly as possible today.  I then took two more oxycodone.

I've been sleeping on and off the rest of the day so far.  I got up to change my ice packs, and when I did that, I washed up (hair, face, body), put in my contacts, and changed into clean sweats.  Walking around was exhausting, but it's good for my legs.  There's a sizeable blue bruise growing on my foot, which I find amusing.  My mom is a bit grossed out, but it's expected--just lots of fluid.  It's definitely uncomfortable, but I guess it's turning the bandages into compression stockings.  They're staying on very tightly!  It's irritating, skin-wise and pain-wise, but I'm glad the dressings are staying on so easily.  One less thing to panic about.

My mom is here with noodle kugel and some of her work for school.  I will probably nap for a bit and then watch a movie with her.  I'm trying not to eat too much (stuck in bed + no appetite), but I'm also trying not to eat too little (body needs fuel to heal + oxycodone).

The biggest downside to today, besides all the painful swelling, is Loki.  He was a huge pain in the ass all morning, waking me up by slamming toys against the side of his cage and screeching at the top of his lungs.  He knows when I'm sleeping or trying to sleep, and has known for a long time (since college), so this isn't a case of, "Oh, he doesn't know any better."  I can tell he's a bit freaked out by the strange circumstances: mommy is home all week, her legs look funny, her mommy is around a lot, there are those scary crutches, etc.  I wish he would be better at remembering, though, that when mommy is lying down with her eyes closed, SHHHHH.


I was feeling a little warm, unrelated to the weather, so I checked my temp.  Unsurprisingly, I have a low-grade fever (99.1).  This doesn't mean that I have an infection, of course.  My immune system is very aggravated right now from surgery, and fever is part of that system.  Unless it goes up to 101.something, I should be fine.  I'll just keep an eye on it, but it does explain the loss of the good mood a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment