Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Let's have surgery!

In 7 hours, I will be on my way to the surgical center in the 'burbs!  It's finally time to have my bilateral fasciotomy.

I was supposed to get a call from a nurse three days before my surgery, and a call from the administrative assistant two days before to give me the exact time of my surgery.  On Monday, I was feeling a bit panicky, so I called to see why I hadn't heard anything.  You know, because surgery was supposed to be Tuesday.

The administrative assistant was confused.  Apparently, my surgery was Thursday, not Tuesday.  And they would never have scheduled it Tuesday; the surgeon is in the office on Tuesdays, so clearly, I just put down the wrong date.

I wouldn't have put down the wrong date.  I don't do that, not with stuff like this.  Do you think I put down the wrong date for my colonoscopies?  I don't think so.

Fine.  So I was cleaning my room on Tuesday night, and lo and behold, as I am cleaning up my desk, I find all the paperwork from my consult.  Including a form where the administrative assistant, the same one who told me that I must have been mistaken about the date, had written that my surgery was scheduled for Tuesday.  So, I wonder why I thought surgery was on Tuesday!

Yeah.

Whatever.  The downside to the mix-up?  I backed out of the flute ensemble I do every summer.  I hadn't been feeling well last week, and knew I needed to take some time off to recovery before surgery.  With flute ensemble, I wouldn't have a day off at all; rehearsals were Thursday through Saturday, the concert was Sunday, and Monday I'd be running around doing errands, and cleaning up my room.  So I cancelled.  It turns out, I didn't have to; I would have been able to rest all day on Monday and most of Tuesday.

The upside?  I was able to meet up with a bunch of friends for ice cream in my hometown.  Two of my friends are leaving Boston on Friday and Saturday, and I'm not going to be able to get to their going-away party tomorrow night, so this way, I actually got to see them before they left.  D'awwww!

I'm all ready for tomorrow.  I'm going to sleep in my loose clothing (got a sweatshirt ready to go as well), I'll be wearing glasses, and I've got my phone all charged.  My mom will hold my phone and wallet while I'm in prep and surgery.  I know I'll be bored during the two hours between arrival and actual surgery, but I'll either nap or daydream.  Or a combo.  My apartment is clean and my fridge and pantry are stocked.  I have a key for my mom so I don't have to get up to let her in for the next week.

As for entertaining myself, I've got a computer with internet and Netflix, some Netflix discs on the way, a coloring book and crayons, a book of brain teasers, a ridiculous parakeet, lots of books, and lots of friends to entertain me.

I bet I'll still be bored, though.  When can I go running again?

No comments:

Post a Comment