Monday, August 1, 2011

Slogging along

Today continued in the same vein as yesterday did.  Definitely feeling drained, partially because I'm just lying in bed all day, and partially because my body is still a bit shocked from surgery.  My legs are starting to get very uncomfortable.  I keep readjusting my pillows so my knees aren't locked, but I keep getting the sensation that they're locking anyway.

The pain and swelling in my right leg is significantly decreasing.  The only pain I get right now feels like it's from stitches catching onto my bandages, although it's hard to tell.  It's an unpleasant pain, but I try to avoid it.  The swelling is down considerably, or at least that's what it looks like to me.  It's hard to tell with all the bandaging!

My left leg is not doing as well.  It feels worse in general, and the pain makes it hard to walk somewhat normally.  Because my right leg is so much better, I walk with a limp, and because of how bad my left leg is, I just sort of slowly shuffle towards my destination.  The swelling isn't any better, and even though (again) it's hard to tell what's going on, it looks bigger than my right calf does.

Last night, I felt some twinging pain in my left calf and called the on-call doctor.  He reassured me and explained that if I had a blood clot, I wouldn't really know about it or be able to do much about the clot on its own.  Instead, he told me to look out for a racing pulse and shortness of breath.  I asked about the trouble urinating, and he said that was normal on oxy.  I didn't mention bruising or fever, like my mom wanted, because I know both things are normal.  My fever was a bit high (for me) last night, around 100.6, but it broke overnight again.

I slept most of the day, waking up to pee at 6:30 and 10am.  I noticed some numbness in my left pinky and ring finger, but after talking with a few people, I know it's nothing serious, probably just from lying down since Thursday.  My fever hasn't come back yet, but I also took more Tylenol this morning.  We'll see if it comes back tonight or not.

I slept more, from 10ish to almost 1, and then I napped again before my mom came over around 2:30.  I fell asleep again around 6 and woke up about 20 minutes ago.  I mean, I know part of it is because I'm bored, but wow, I'm tired.

I hate my dreams on oxycodone.  They're worrisome, even when they shouldn't be, and I end up waking up a lot and being confused.  I actually woke up from this nap thinking that my lip was swelling up, and that one of my roommates had come into my room multiple times to lecture me on my Netflix usage in very condescending and inappropriate ways.  Best part?  The guy in my dream was just some made-up guy, not even one of my roommates.

I will NOT miss these dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment