Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Word of advice from me to me

As a Kaplan SAT teacher, one of the pieces of information I passed onto my class at the end of the course was related to test day.  Lots of teens don't get enough sleep, and being extremely tired on test day can be a disaster.  Kaplan has us tell our students to get a good night's sleep two nights before the test.  That is, get plenty of sleep on Thursday night for the Saturday morning test.

And then I stopped thinking about this advice.

Never mind the assertion from a good friend of mine that Tuesdays are worse than Mondays.  I always felt that was true, but couldn't pinpoint why (I kept thinking, "But Tuesday is closer to the weekend!").  I never questioned why Tuesdays were my least productive days.  Until today.

It's 2011, and my sleep schedule got slightly messy over the weekend, during New Year's.  I ended up sleeping till noon on Sunday, and I was disappointed, knowing I'd have trouble sleeping that night.  I did struggle to get sleep, and while I didn't wake up on Monday feeling well-rested, I didn't feel terrible.  Monday night, I didn't go to bed early, but neither did I go to bed unreasonably late.

This morning, I am ridiculously, obscenely over-tired.  I just want to sleep.  I slept through my alarm, and I'm almost asleep at my desk.  The thought of getting up and getting work done would be terrifying if I currently could feel anything through this haze of sleepiness.

Get sleep on Sunday night, people, or you will find yourself barely even half-awake on Tuesday ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

No comments:

Post a Comment