Wednesday, June 24, 2009

But it's so COMFY

My bed isn't really that comfortable. I have an IKEA bedframe, an IKEA mattress that used to be 4 inches thick, but not any longer. The sheets aren't soft.

I get enough sleep. Considering that even when I didn't get 7-8 hours a night, I still managed to get up at 7:15 to work last summer, it's really not that much of an issue for me to get up and go to work. And now, I go to bed before midnight every night, fall asleep within 10 minutes (exception: Sunday night I have trouble sleeping because Sunday tends to be the only day I can sleep in; note that I'm still exhausted Sunday night by 9). I almost always get at least 7 hours, if not 8 or 9.

I'm almost always well-rested. I can determine how well-rested I am by when I wake up. Before the alarm = very well-rested. With the alarm (without hitting snooze) = adequately well-rested. After the first snooze or later (because sometimes I sleep through hitting the snooze) = not well-rested and probably going to be like a zombie at the lab.

Finally, there are three trains I can take to work without being "late," and which don't involve leaving the house at 6:50 am. I always leave at least 25, but usually 30 minutes to walk to the train station (the later I wait, the less likely it is that there will be convenient parking, and I don't mind walking in the morning). These trains are at 8:05, 8:30, and 9:09. My least favorite is the 9:09 because I don't get in until 9:40, and I have to take the 6:20 train home. That means I don't get home till about 7:20, which is NOT FUN.

So, explain this:

I wake up at 6:30 am, 20 minutes before my alarm is supposed to go off. My sheets are tangled and a bit uncomfortable. I am not drifting back off to sleep easily because I know I'm supposed to get up in 20 minutes. I feel alert, not groggy. I decide, of course, to keep sleeping. My alarm goes off at 6:50, 6:59, 7:08, 7:17, 7:26, 7:35, 7:44, and 7:53 before I decide, in my infinite wisdom, that I will take the 9:09 train, and then I set my alarm for 8:15. I don't actually sleep in those 20 minutes, though, because a baby starts crying and, let's face it, I'm awake. I finally get up at 8:24, after hitting snooze 9 minutes earlier.

As a result, I got no breakfast, no coffee, and I have no make-up on. And now I have to stay at work for an additional 40 minutes. But do you know what the worst part is?

As soon as I get out of bed, I feel fine. I'm not groggy or drowsy. I don't feel like I had to get out of bed too soon (because, honestly, I haven't).

So, I just have to convince myself that I really DO want to get out of bed at 6:50 so I can leave at 7:30, take the 8:05 train, get to work by 8:40, and leave by 5:05 to get home at 6 instead of 6:30 or, like on days like today, 7-fucking-30.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME.

1 comment: